Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Approaches, ego, fear, and misc thoughts

I think one of the things that really frustrated me throughout the past couple of years is that I had never found a work technique/method that clicked with me.  Even though I felt that I had this killer ambition to draw, I could never grasp why I was struggling so damn much just to get an idea down on paper with stuff like figure drawing (especially when I was already practicing it fairly often).  I believe in part it had to do not just with training my hand/eye coordination, but also that I was approaching drawing in a manner that doesn't work for me... but I believe now I know why.

I needed to realize that when I draw, I am projecting my understanding of the subject down onto paper.  Drawing is an incredible mental activity that my mind needs to mellow into, so whenever I would try to draw for a really limited amount of time under pressure (e.g. on a break at work, a really short train ride, etc), it would be increasingly frustrating - not just because I would get cut off right when I'm in the process of reaching my creative groove, but also because I would leave with yet another an ugly drawing.

In addition, I learned that I cannot learn anatomy by just figure drawing;  I needed (and still need) to study bones & muscles and study them enough so that I will have an intellectualized idea of their shape and placement when I go figure drawing.  Long story short: figure drawing should be a test of my knowledge of the human body since the model's interior will be invisible to me (at least without those intellectualized ideas)

Studying the sacrum 3-dimensionally... these drawings are actually from a very unique approach that I want to elaborate on a separate post later on....
Result of the implementation of very basic ideas in the heat of figure drawing

By applying all of the above, drawing has become not just a lot more enjoyable, but also a lot more natural than it has been before.  As a result, I feel myself becoming a lot more satisfied with what I've been sketching out.  Then again, I feel like there's too much content-ness going on here, and I've been more and more hesitant to draw in my sketchbooks for fear that might I fuck up one of the best drawing streaks I've had, since... maybe ever.  In addition, I'm also going to apply to CalArts where turning in a sketchbook is part of the application, so I have this really bad habit of trying to make my sketchbook drawings look perfect.  I keep forgetting sketchbooks are our domains to fuck up...


Even though it's not perfect by any means, I think all the basic ingredients to depict a "storytelling" drawing are here by having a decent composition (rule of thirds), and implementing a bit of a dynamic foreground, mid-ground, and background (well, dynamic for a sketchbook, anyway).

Aaand I just want to leave with one more thought.  I've still been reading Walt Stanchfield's Drawn to Life and I really love the analogy of comparing the rhythm in playing music to drawing.  When playing music, you have to think of a few notes ahead of ones you are already playing.  If you focus on each individual note as you are playing them, your rhythm will become jarred.  I usually keep this in mind when I go figure/gesture drawing by not trying to perfect the shape of something (e.g. the head - I just try to get down an idea of it's shape and position and how it correlates to the rest of the body in terms of movement and basic connectivity).

No comments:

Post a Comment