Monday, August 1, 2011

Inspiration from the Long Haul

Back in early 2009, I discovered Nick Pitera's thesis film from Ringling.  I was a senior in high school and it was the first time I'd have ever heard of the college.  Within seconds, I fell in love with its visual quality.  I saw that all of Ringling's shorts had a similar cinematic calibur and could hardly contain my excitement at the possibilities of creating such worlds.  I was however already committed to study at Columbia College and soon learned that not all animation programs are equal in quality...

After a semester of gaping disappointment in Columbia's animation program, I found Lindsey Olivares' thesis (from Ringling as well) and fell in love with the visual storytelling power of animation all over again.  These are just two of my favorite Ringling shorts, which I use to fuel my fire for portfolio building to finally get to Ringling after three years of dreaming (and counting).

However, hope and inspiration are useless without the willpower and discipline to persevere and sacrifice.  Time to get back to work.


Fame and Fortune - Nick Pitera

Anchored - Lindsey Olivares

No comments:

Post a Comment